A Few Facts About Asbestos Checking
It is impossible to simply look at a material and find out whether it includes asbestos or not.
There are tests to confirm the presence of the same. A licensed tester like Site Environmental & Remediation Services (SERS) can help you with monitoring and surveys related to asbestos.
Why is asbestos air monitoring important? What are the types of tests? Let us get into the details.
Importance of asbestos air monitoring
If you have planned a renovation of your home, you may need different materials, and if you doubt the presence of asbestos in any, it would be good to get it checked. As per the experts at www.techsoup.org, building materials which contain asbestos in them get damaged over time and releases fibers into the air. These fibers, if inhaled, can lead to severe health issues.
A number of tests can be carried out on the fibers. These tests are collectively known as Asbestos air monitoring tests. They help in finding out the issues due to damaged asbestos. The following are the four different types of testing.
· Asbestos exposure air test- This is a method to determine the risk of exposure to asbestos fibers. It is carried out in the breathing region of the people.
· Background asbestos air test- If building work is planned in a certain area; this test is done prior to the start of work to find out if there are asbestos effects in the air.
· Control air test- This test is done during the application of a control method such as the removal of materials containing asbestos. Control air test is done to find out how effective the control measures are.
· Clearance air test- Clearance test is done after the complete removal of asbestos containing materials. A fiber level of 0.01 fibers/ml or below is required for the air to be considered clear.
How to deal safely with asbestos containing materials?
You must approach a licensed professional to solve issues related to asbestos. They can help you in two ways. One of the ways is that they provide the required assistance to dispose of the material legally. If there are any hindrances for the removal, then they would repair the material. Repairing is usually done using two methods which are listed below.
· Sealing- This repair method involves applying a sealant on the damaged part. The sealant should not be applied using a brush or a roller because it may further damage the material. A low-pressure airless sprayer can be used to apply the sealant.
· Covering- In this method, the asbestos is covered so that the released fibers would not reach the breathing zone of people.
If you are planning a home renovation or other such big changes, then it is best to get the damaged asbestos materials removed by a professional.
There are two types of asbestos professionals: Asbestos inspectors and asbestos contractors. The former ones access the samples from homes and buildings for the presence of any dangerous materials. Lab analysis may also be done in required cases. Asbestos contractors help you to remove or repair the materials.